[Warning 15+]
SequelI Won't Accept an Ideal Like That
The high school I chose was Kyōgoku Nishi High.
The reason is simple: It's close to my house, and its average grades are the closest match to mine. Besides, I wasn't familiar with that area yet, so I had no idea which high schools were any good.
Besides, what I have to do won't change.
In my opinion, if it's just to go through a "ordinary" high school life, it doesn't matter where I go.
—And today is the big day for the Kyōgoku Nishi High entrance exam.
In the classroom designated as the venue for the Entrance Exam, I was staring at the answer sheet I'd just finished.
Maybe because I'd been focusing solely on studying for a while, I was able to complete it without hesitation. I think I might have scored pretty well.
Which means… …this way, I can't just be "ordinary," right?
If I keep getting first place in every subject like I usually do, I won't be just "ordinary" anymore. I have to manage my grades so they're good enough to pass the Entrance Exam.
Hmm, in that case… …maybe I'll make it look like only my Japanese grade is good.
That way, it wouldn't seem strange if I chose the humanities track at my private high school during class selection, and it could also serve as a reason for not entering an advanced class.
After making that decision, I spent the rest of the time making minor changes to the answers I'd already written.
Time passed—it was the last class of the day, nearing the end of the Entrance Exam.
Suddenly, "clatter-clatter," an eraser rolled across the floor in front of my desk.
"~~!"
Next, from the seat to my right, I heard what sounded like a muffled scream.
OMG… …maybe the eraser slipped and fell?
I glanced sideways to check out the situation.
The boy in the next seat looked really panicked; I took out my spare eraser, but I didn't think I'd call the proctor. His eyes kept darting back and forth between the clock and his answer sheet.
If only that boy could calm down a little—oh, wait, no. He was fighting tooth and nail on his Entrance Exam, so it was only natural that he was panicking.
At the same time, I felt guilty for deliberately slacking off around a boy like that, so I found myself thinking, "Is there any way I can help him?"
─Does "helping him" in this situation really mean "being ordinary"?
But that thought immediately crossed my mind, and I bit my lip tightly.
Maybe, at a time like this, just leaving that guy alone and thinking, "It's none of my business," is "ordinary," right?
As I thought that, I tried to pull back my hand, which had unconsciously reached for the pencil case, and then suddenly realized something.
Hmm… …But wait a minute.
If this relationship is just for the moment, doesn't whatever I do risk dragging this into future misery…?
If this boy isn't someone I know, and I have no plans to get to know him in the future, then whatever I do doesn't matter, right?
In that case—.
Just a little. It's okay if I help the boy here, isn't it…?
Then I quickly pulled out the eraser I'd set aside as a backup.
Actually, I could have just handed it to the boy right away, but I didn't think that would be enough to calm him down, so I wrote a note with a marker.
"Calm down, everything's still be okay."
…Yeah, just this much was enough.
I glanced around briefly, making sure the Teachers on patrol had their backs to us, then tossed it onto the boy's desk.
The boy looked at me with a surprised expression, but I kept my head down while pointing at the eraser.
Only then did the boy seem to realize what I was trying to say; He nodded a few times before slowly refocusing his attention on his answer sheet.
…Thank goodness. Hopefully, the boy's calmed down by now.
I hope there's still time.
─About 10 minutes later, the announcement that the Entrance Exam had ended was broadcast.
In the classroom, where the atmosphere had suddenly become relaxed, I quickly finished tidying up.
Well… …if the boy recognizes me, it'll be useless. Before anyone greets me, I have to leave right away.
When the boy wasn't looking my way, I quietly stood up and slipped out of the classroom through the back door.
Okay, that's taken care of.
After letting out a sigh of relief, I started walking toward the stairs at the end of the hallway.
Oh, but did I still lend the boy that eraser? Well, actually, a trivial thing like that isn't really a big deal, though….
As I thought about that, I walked past the door out front.
Without realizing it, my eyes drifted toward the classroom—.
My eyes met that boy's.
Oh—.
Is that boy smiling…?
The boy's cheerful face, with that gentle smile.
It looks so… …so beautiful.
A warm feeling slowly flooded my chest.
Before I knew it—I was smiling too.
I smiled, then unconsciously waved back.
─No, no, it can't go any further than this.
As soon as I realized that, I quickly looked away and ran away from there.
In a hurry, I ran down the stairs, put on my shoes, and rushed out the school gate — only then could I breathe a sigh of relief.
"Phew… …that was close…"
In sudden moments like this, I often react instinctively without even realizing it… …I need to learn to control myself more consciously.
I let out a long sigh, saying, "Phew…," then gathered my thoughts and resolved myself.
But—.
It's been so long since I've been able to laugh without thinking about anything….
◆
Then came the announcement of the Entrance Exam results.
In front of the bulletin board in the multipurpose hall (supposedly called Byakko Kaikan), smiling as I watched the jubilant students, I checked my own number.
I wonder if that boy passed…
I didn't know the boy's number, and at a glance it seemed like he wasn't around, so I wouldn't know the results until I got to school.
Besides, even if the boy said hello to me, I planned to pretend I didn't know him—we had nothing to do with each other anymore… …even so.
Being careful not to make a mistake this time, I picked up my registration packet and headed home.
On the way, in front of the school gate, a guy who claimed to be "from the Student Council Officials" (since he was wearing a red tie, he might have been a senpai) asked me to fill out a Class Preference Survey Questionnaire.
For a moment I was wary, thinking it might be an invitation to join something, but since the questionnaire was anonymous and it seemed like he was asking other people as well, maybe this was part of the Student Council's activities. Since the boy seemed to be having trouble doing it alone, I decided to help.
In any case, with this, my acceptance into this high school is now certain.
From now on, I have to really try my best to be my "ordinary" self.
If that's the case, then surely….
My new classmates at the school I just joined will surely always have a smile on their faces.
◆
Just as I'd hoped, I was placed in Class 1-D, where students plan to attend a private university to major in the humanities.
Right now, the New Student Orientation Ceremony has ended. Next, we'll gather in our respective classrooms to participate in the New Student Orientation.
Amid the somewhat anxious atmosphere, I stopped in front of Class 1-D and took a slow, deep breath.
My classmates, visible through the doorway, seemed restless, sitting on the seats that had been temporarily assigned to them.
Even though I'm used to changing schools, this time the situation is very different from usual, so I'm feeling nervous.
─I'm friendly to everyone and adjust my behavior to suit each person's personality, but I don't let them get too involved in my personal affairs.
I randomly switch up the people I talk to or hang out with every day so that no one person dominates the group.
When talking, I generally don't share personal details about myself. If I have trouble answering a question, I just say, "Something like that."
I don't form groups with "permanent" members, nor do I join groups like that. Even though it's not unusual for me to be anywhere with anyone, I don't want others to feel like I'm only in one place.
For my hairstyle, I chose the safest option—a bob—while keeping my makeup and hair styling as simple as possible. When it comes to wearing a uniform, I opt for a style that's not too casual but also not too formal—right in the middle.
Actually, I could have looked even more outdated, but there's a limit to how much you can hide your appearance. So, instead, I tried to get people used to seeing me quickly, so that my appearance would become part of the everyday scenery. Besides, I gave off an impression that downplayed the parts considered attractive, so that in the end, people's judgment of me would be just average.
─Yeah, okay.
After once again making sure my "ordinary" appearance was in order, I stepped into the classroom.
For a moment, everyone's gaze turned toward me at once, but I walked toward my seat with a look on my face as if I hadn't noticed.
"Wow, this is the girl I just thought, 'Wow, she's so cute!'"
As I sat down, a boy with short hair who looked like an athlete and was sitting near me greeted me.
"Already?" I thought, becoming more alert, then I broke into a smile.
"Haha, nice to meet you. Um—"
"Oh, I'm Eiji Tokiwa! A graduate of Shinonami Middle!"
That boy—Tokiwa-kun—said that with a gentle smile and a friendly expression.
"What about you?"
"My name is Kiyosato Mei. I'm from… …um, my middle school was outside the prefecture."
Even though I knew Tokiwa-kun probably wouldn't understand, I still answered vaguely just in case.
Hearing that, Tokiwa-kun's big eyes lit up.
"Wow, a transfer student! That's cool—so you're from a middle school in the city. I didn't realize there were students like that here, too."
"Haha, something like that. Nice to meet you."
"Nice to meet you, too! It'll probably take some time to get used to things here, so if you run into any problems, don't hesitate to ask me for help, okay?"
Hearing those words spoken in a calm and soothing tone, my heart unconsciously softened.
─Tokiwa-kun's so natural at showing he cares, isn’t he?
I sensed it instinctively, and then I gave a little smile.
Yeah… …even though Tokiwa-kun's personality is completely different, his kindness and purity of heart are just like Zomu-kun's—.
"Oh, sorry. I'm going out for a bit."
"Okay, later."
….
…I have to be careful not to get too close to Tokiwa-kun.
I stood up and headed back toward the entrance.
It wasn't that I had anything specific to do, but after saying something like that, it felt weird to stay here. Maybe I'll just go to the restroom to kill some time.
"─Oh, I'm sorry about that."
"…"
Then, at the entrance, I almost bumped into someone as I was walking out.
After managing to stop for a moment and look up, I saw a tall, slender boy. He was very handsome, and the way he wore his uniform had looked very neat from day one.
"Ahaha, eh… …we're in the same class, right?"
"─"
After I asked in a non-confrontational tone, the boy remained silent while staring at me.
─Wow, that boy's gaze is kind of scary, isn't it?
It felt so piercing, as if it could see right through me.
Naturally, I figured this boy must be pretty capable.
"My name is Kiyosato Mei. What's yours?"
"…Torisawa Kakeru."
While staying on my guard, I introduced myself, and a brusque reply came back. At least, it seemed like Torisawa-kun was responding.
"So, you're Torisawa-kun, then. Nice to meet you!"
When I said that with a smile, Torisawa-kun snorted, "Hmph."
"Well, if you really intend to cooperate."
"…Ahaha, of course I'll cooperate."
Hmm… …It really was scary.
I slipped past Torisawa-kun, then hurried away from there.
Then, after hiding behind something, I looked back and observed the situation from a distance.
Torisawa-kun walked into the classroom as if he didn't really care about me, then confidently—as if this weren't his first class—he sat down at his desk and rested his head on the table.
Both Torisawa-kun's composure and his sharpness. It was as if he were just like Ōmori-kun─.
….
I should never have… …just walked up to them like that.
I let out a sigh and said, "Huh," then patted my cheeks.
─I have to try my hardest.
For sure, this time for sure. I can't let them meet a bad fate.
◆
"Congratulations to all of you on being accepted into this school. My name is Toshima Kyōko, and I will be your Homeroom Teacher."
A few moments later, the Homeroom Teacher began her orientation.
Covering everything from school rules, how to use the cafeteria and school cooperative, the class schedule, and so on, the orientation proceeded based on the materials that had been distributed.
During the self-introduction session in the middle of the event, I got through it with an "ordinary" and safe introduction that I had prepared in advance.
I had absolutely no intention of making them remember my name quickly or easing the tension among them.
"─Okay, next we'll elect the Class Rep. Does anyone want to run for the position?"
Toshima-sensei asked, looking around the classroom.
…Class Rep, huh. At the very beginning of high school, especially in a class full of strangers, it didn't seem like anyone would raise their hand….
It'll definitely be decided by lottery or appointment, so I've got to find a way to avoid it─.
"Yeah!"
─Huh?
Surprised by that unexpected answer, I turned toward the source of the voice.
Three rows away from me, a boy raised his hand enthusiastically.
That boy, as far as I can remember─.
"Nagasaka Kōhei, right?"
Toshima-sensei muttered as she looked over the list of names.
That boy—Nagasaka-kun—answered loudly, his eyes sparkling.
"Yeah, I'm Nagasaka! If no one else wants to run, please let me run for the Class Rep!"
Nagasaka-kun's so enthusiastic… …yeah.
Just like during the introductions earlier, Nagasaka-kun was the only one who seemed really excited. It was as if he couldn't wait to start his high school life.
If that were all, I'd probably just think Nagasaka-kun was a little ridiculous—.
I watched Nagasaka-kun closely; His hand was still raised straight up.
Nagasaka-kun's appearance—well, for better or worse—could be described as unremarkable, or perhaps he just gives off the impression of a simple boy. I've never actually spoken to he directly, so I don’t know what his personality is like, but at the very least, he doesn't seem to have a standout personality like Tokiwa-kun or Torisawa-kun do.
In short, yeah.
Nagasaka-kun is the person who best fits the image of "ordinary."
But that's exactly why it feels a little off, doesn't it… "Why is Nagasaka-kun running for Class Rap here?"
Just as I was thinking about that, Toshima-sensei spoke up again.
"…Are you sure? This might be harder than you imagine."
Toshima-sensei asked Nagasaka-kun as if to confirm, but for some reason, she looked a little confused.
Huh… …I wonder? Is this really something to worry about that much?
When I tilted my head, Nagasaka-kun nodded firmly and replied with confidence.
"Of course it’s no problem. Let me handle it."
"...Okay. In that case, Nagasaka-kun will be the Class Rep. Those in favor, please clap."
Applause echoed throughout the classroom. The atmosphere felt more like a sense of relief that someone was willing to take on the troublesome task than one of congratulations.
But there was something that had been bothering me ever since… …I wonder why?
Before I could figure out what was bothering me, the discussion continued.
"Okay, Clas Rep. Regarding the seat changes, please come up to the front and continue the discussion."
"Okay!"
Nagasaka-kun eagerly stepped forward and stood on the stage.
Then, Nagasaka-kun looked around the entire classroom and began speaking with an expression that suggested he was completely ready.
"Um... ...I've just been appointed as your Class Rep. My name is Nagasaka Kōhei. Um, I was born in East New Town, which is famous for its slanted elevator. Since I'm from the countryside, there might be times when I’m a little rude, but I'd appreciate your support and guidance. Thank you."
And just like that, for some reason, Nagasaka-kun suddenly started introducing himself in a speech-like manner, to the point where the entire class fell completely silent.
…Maybe Nagasaka-kun was trying to make our classmates laugh. Oh.
"…Ahem. Okay, let's drop that joke."
With his cheeks flushed as if he felt he'd failed, Nagasaka-kun cleared his throat and started over.
"Let's get right to it. I want to decide the seating arrangement for this semester. Unless there's a specific reason—like poor eyesight that makes it better to sit up front—I plan to determine the arrangement by drawing lots. Do you all agree?"
None of my classmates objected.
After confirming this, Nagasaka-kun nodded slowly.
"Okay, now I'm going to draw the lottery grid on the board. Please come up to the front in order of your attendance numbers, then draw a horizontal line in one of the spaces while saying your name."
As he said this, Nagasaka-kun deftly drew 40 vertical lines on the board, then wrote the numbers in sequence below them.
Nagasaka-kun is so quick on his feet… …maybe he’s actually used to tasks like this.
Or, could it be that Nagasaka-kun had anticipated this and prepared for it… …or something like that? But that seems impossible….
"Okay, please start with number one and go in order—"
At that command, our classmates lined up at the front and wrote down their names.
I drew a line somewhere random next to my name, then brushed off my chalk-covered hand.
"Thanks for your help."
"Oh, eh, it's no big deal."
Suddenly, Nagasaka-kun said hello to me, so I found myself smiling back without even realizing it.
…Huh?
When I looked at Nagasaka-kun's face up close, for some reason I felt like I'd seen him before.
Could it be that we misunderstood something at some point…?
"Okay, next up—"
As Nagasaka-kun said this and continued with the sequence, I returned to my seat so as not to interrupt.
A few moments later, after everyone had finished writing their names.
"Okay, for this last one, we're going to draw random lines—"
Nagasaka-kun drew a few lines with chalk while making a "kashi-kashi" sound from his left side, and when he finished drawing the last line, he muttered softly, "…Okay."
"─Okay. Now, I'll call out the seat numbers in order starting from number one, so please move when your name is called. Um, first of all, Anayama Shun-kun─"
Everyone started moving in a flurry.
I'm number 19, and I'm sitting right around the middle of the classroom.
Actually, I'd prefer a spot that isn't too conspicuous… …but oh well, it can't be helped, then.
Oh, so the person next to me is—.
"Next is number 27… …oh, that's me. In that case, the next one, number 28, is—"
—Nagasaka-kun next to me, right.
After seeing that result, for some reason I felt something was off again.
◆
A few days later, I wrapped up various tasks like my physical exam, picking up my textbooks, and the extracurricular orientation at the gym. And finally, starting today, regular classes began.
After school, I had just finished my first day joining the Tennis Club and was heading toward the school gate.
The Kyō-Nishi High School Tennis Club didn't seem very strong, so they were really surprised when I told them about my results in the National Tennis Tournament. But since I lied and said, "I couldn't play my best because of an injury," it seems they won't be counting on me.
That's why they felt so sorry for me, and it hurt my heart, but to keep up an "ordinary" act, what else could I do? In the end, this approach is actually better for everyone, so I have to accept this kind of pain with an open heart.
I slung my racket over my shoulder again and walked toward the bus stop.
Suddenly, there—.
"Hey, Kiyosato-san?"
As it turned out, Nagasaka-kun was standing at the bus stop for that route.
"What a coincidence. Are you taking the bus to school, Kiyosato-san?"
Nagasaka-kun snapped the pocket book he was holding shut, then asked with a cheerful smile.
…Hmm, I don't know why, but it does feel a little strange.
There shouldn't be anything special about it… …but every time I see Nagasaka-kun, I feel strange and unsettled.
On top of that, there was the seat arrangement incident a few days ago—it feels like we've been running into each other a lot these past few days. Maybe it's not an exaggeration, but it feels like too much of a coincidence to be just a coincidence.
Even though I was confused, I kept smiling and responded to Nagasaka-kun without showing even a hint of that confusion.
"Ahaha, that's great. Are you taking the bus too, Nagasaka-kun?"
"Oh, it's just temporary. Actually, the bike I usually ride to school broke down."
Nagasaka-kun scratched his cheek as he said this with a puzzled look on his face.
That's a lie… …isn't it?
I judged that based on my instincts, and my suspicions grew even stronger.
─Why is Nagasaka-kun lying here, I wonder?
Maybe to justify why Nagasaka-kun took the bus to school… …or something like that? Is there something he doesn't want others to know?
If that's the case—maybe I'm being too sensitive, but this isn't just an excuse to get close to me, is it?
…Wait, maybe I'll try to figure this out a little.
This is the first time the two of us have had a convo like this, but maybe it's a good opportunity. I'll observe Nagasaka-kun's various reactions and try to pinpoint exactly what's making me feel uneasy. I just have to be careful not to come across as weird by overdoing it.
I made up my mind, then smiled before continuing.
"Wow, unfortunately, huh. Where are you going on the bus?"
"Just to the station. From there, I'll take the train to school."
"Oh... ...eh, but the station isn't that far from school, is it? Isn't it a waste of money to take the bus?"
I asked that casual question.
The nearest station is about a 15-minute walk away. Everyone comes by bike because there's free bike parking, so walking isn't a problem. To choose to take the bus in a situation like that, there must be a reason.
If Nagasaka-kun's reason sounds unreasonable, or if he can't answer it, there must be something he's hiding behind it.
As I watched him closely while thinking that, Nagasaka-kun continued with a wry smile.
"That's how city people think. Around here, walking isn't really an option people consider."
"Eh… …is that really true?"
Hearing that unexpected answer, I blinked.
"The thing is, everyone's used to getting around by car. Even to a supermarket that's just a five-minute walk away, they drive."
"I-I see."
I… …wasn't lying. Oh, I see—in the countryside, there really is a culture like that….
"Besides, when you're walking, it's not like you can't read a book at the same time."
Nagasaka-kun briefly held up the book he'd just been reading to show it to me.
When I caught a glimpse of the back cover, I realized it was a novel by an author I used to like.
"…Do you like books?"
Without realizing it, I asked that, then suddenly came to my senses.
OMG, I asked that honestly. If that's the case, this is just a casual conversation.
But… …maybe I should just keep asking. Who knows, Nagasaka-kun might lie again at some weird moment.
Nagasaka-kun replied with a smile.
"Well, it's not bad. Even so, I'm usually not interested in literary labels like this at all. But since I'm currently reading another series by the same author, I figured I'd give it a try."
"Did you know it?" Nagasaka-kun asked, mentioning the title, and I shook my head.
Is there really a series like that…? …Even though I've never seen it on the bookshelf. But I guess Nagasaka-kun isn't lying, though….
Nagasaka-kun gave a wry smile before continuing.
"Well, it's labeled as a light novel, sure. But it's actually not as simple as it seems."
Oh, I see. That's not my area of expertise.
"I see. Personally, I hardly ever read entertainment books."
"Wow… …but if you had to choose, the story would center on detective work or a battle of wits, right?"
"Oh, really? In that case, I might be interested!"
"I'll lend it to you, okay? I'll bring it over later."
"Oh, really? In that case, in return, I'll also—"
…Wait, didn't I already say that wasn't allowed?
As I silently scolded myself for getting carried away again, I exhaled slowly.
But the way Nagasaka-kun talks really does sound like a guy who reads a lot. It seems like he genuinely loves reading—he's not just pretending.
Besides, there's nothing strange about the way Nagasaka-kun responds and chats. He doesn’t try to get close to me in an obvious way or come across as too aggressive like most other boys.
I feel like something's off, but… …maybe I'm just misunderstanding. Maybe I'm being too sensitive.
Besides, rather than worrying about what the people around me think of me, what's more important is whether I come across as "ordinary" or not, so I shouldn't misinterpret it.
In fact, it's better to use this moment to reinforce that impression. In that case, a conversation that doesn't offend anyone—like talking about hobbies—is perfect.
…Yeah. I'll try it that way.
Just as I made up my mind, the bus arrived, and we both got on.
─On the way to the station, we spent the time talking about books.
Nagasaka-kun's way of speaking was so natural that I no longer felt anything was off.
◆
From that point on, everything went smoothly.
My relationships with my classmates and clubmates were great; I could chat with anyone, but I wasn't particularly close to anyone—and I managed to maintain that balance.
Although I still feel like I'm being treated specially—mainly because of my appearance—I'm trying to gradually adopt behaviors that make me less attractive, so for now I just have to be patient. It doesn't matter whether there's a specific goal or not, because I'm the kind of person who's as invisible as air; So, until I reach that point, I'll keep trying without letting my guard down.
Even now, I'm still sometimes confused about how to get along with both Tokiwa-kun and Torisawa-kun… …at least so far, they haven't made any clear moves toward me. They both seem like the passive type, so I don't think anything will happen unless I take the initiative.
Then—there's Nagasaka-kun.
Nagasaka-kun sometimes seems cheerful and calm, but other times his reactions are over the top, like he's acting; Sometimes he's very serious, but suddenly acts like a comedian—he really is a bit of an inconsistent boy.
However, it's not just me who feels this way; My other classmates feel the same, so if we assume that Nagasaka-kun is just getting carried away because he's new to high school and has lost some self-control, that's not unusual. Starting high school without a single friend seems to have contributed to that as well.
Besides, the sense of something off and the aura of dishonesty I felt at first have disappeared since then, and the way Nagasaka-kun treats me hasn't changed significantly either.
So, it turns out I was just being too sensitive.
─If things keep going like this, for sure.
If things keep going like this, it'll definitely happen this time.
Everything will go smoothly.
Without any more surprises.
I'll just keep being myself, just like I am now, and keep maintaining the relationships I have right now.
Nothing special, nothing bad—just living an ordinary high school life, just like that.
If things keep going this way—.
We can avoid the worst possible outcome, the one where no one can smile anymore.
We'll all surely be able to keep smiling forever.
Yeah.
It turns out, this is it.
In this reality.
That's the only right answer I can choose.
─At least, that's what I thought at first.
"Wh-Why…?"
─It happened all of a sudden.
Really, without any warning at all.
That strange feeling I had about Nagasaka-kun.
It manifested in the worst possible way (a love letter) in my shoe locker.
….
…There shouldn't be any signs like that.
There's no way Nagasaka-kun would make such an unnatural movement.
Then why?
Why—?
Actually...
"What... ...is Nagasaka-kun really going to... try... ...to confess to me...?"
Memories of the past came flooding back.
I recalled the worst possible outcome—the one that had already begun—that stemmed from that past confession.
A chill ran through my entire body.
Without a second thought—.
I tossed the letter into the shoe rack next to me, then ran away from there.
—Why? Why?
Running, running, past the bus stop.
Just running nonstop along the riverbank.
I didn't do anything wrong.
Everything was supposed to go smoothly this time—everything was going according to plan.
"Why, Nagasaka-kun…!?"
─That boy.
That boy…!
"Why is this happening…! I'm going to do something out of the ordinary, y'know─!"
─In any case.
The reality that Kiyosato Mei once faced—
Won't that bring a smile to all my friends' faces─?
◆
…From that point on, Nagasaka-kun's behavior began to deviate noticeably from what was "ordinary."
Instead, I was placed in the same group as both Tokiwa-kun and Torisawa-kun. Even though I'd managed to avoid being part of any group, now I'm forced to interact with another one.
In fact, I accidentally provoked Ayumi, which ended up involving my entire class, and eventually we were backed into a corner until we nearly reached the worst-case scenario.
That's when I became certain.
Behind Nagasaka-kun's seemingly "ordinary" appearance, he harbors something extraordinary.
Nagasaka-kun must be harboring an ideal that, to ordinary people, is nothing but a danger.
Yeah—.
It's just like I used to be.
"…The only right answer is that I have to stay 'ordinary.'"
That alone isn't enough.
That alone still isn't enough.
So.
"The only correct answer is—to make everyone 'ordinary.'"
That's right.
Even if I'm alone, it's still not enough.
Just like I used to be.
Everyone who ignores the ordinary things in life in pursuit of their ideals must eventually accept the reality that everything has to go back to being ordinary.
"Nagasaka-kun—"
That indirect warning hadn't gotten through to Nagasaka-kun yet.
In that case—.
The only way for Nagasaka-kun to understand is to tell him about the past I've been through.
Only by showing him a glimpse of the future to come can we make Nagasaka-kun give in.
And, if that really is the only way—.
There's no reason not to do it.
"My past self… …is my enemy. Ideals like this—I would never, ever accept them."
TL: Reeze27
ED: Reeze27
PR: Reeze27
RP: Angga Kun
If you like our work, please consider supporting us on Ko-fi. 🙏
Support Us: https://ko-fi.com/ninjacross
Donations are very much appreciated.
Follow Our Official WhatsApp Channel: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VaRa6nHCsU9OAB0U370F
Read in other languages:
