[Warning 15+]
Part Five
―Even If, I Can't Treat You with That Same Energy Anymore
Chapter 190
Huh, Got Dumped!
―Even If, I Can't Treat You with That Same Energy Anymore
Chapter 190
Huh, Got Dumped!
#190 (2933)
After a 20-somethin' minute train ride, they arrived at their destination.
Boastin' one of the highest passenger counts in the world, this station felt just like a complex fortress or a giant maze, with queues of crowds constantly flowin' like a river.
Even though Hayato had come here to hang out a few times, if he let his guard down for a second, it felt like he'd get swept away somewhere, so he still couldn't get used to it.
Let alone Saki, who was visitin' for the very first time—she was totally overwhelmed, her head spinnin'.
"Wh-Wh-Whoa, so many people!?"
"Ahaha, Saki-chan, over here~ Here, take my hand."
"Ugh~"
Saki, practically gettin' swallowed up by the sea of people and swept away somewhere, was saved by Himeko, holdin' hands with Saki the whole time so Saki wouldn't get lost.
That role reversal from usual made Hayato's lips curl into a smile.
Still, maybe because the shops and ads overflowin' inside the station buildin' were so novel to her, Saki lookin' all over the place with her eyes wanderin' was total country-bumpkin energy.
As Hayato watched Saki's back with a warm gaze, his eyes met Haruki's, who let out a soft chuckle.
"Saki-chan actually has a childish side like that too, huh."
"I get why Saki-san's so hyped up, I was like that too. But it's not just that."
"Hmm?"
"I was thinking maybe Saki-san's started showin' her true self to us without holdin' back... ...just like she declared back on that day."
"...I see. Yeah, you're right, totally."
Sayin' that, Haruki knit her brows slightly and gave a soft smile.
◇
Eventually, the Bird Statue servin' as their meetin' spot came into view.
"The Bird Statue! Hey, hey, Hime-chan, the Bird Statue actually exists!?"
"Y'know, when I first saw this, I thought it was way smaller than I imagined~"
"For real! Even though it's so famous!"
""Right~!""
Saki was gettin' hyped up over the landmark she'd only ever seen on TV or the internet before. Himeko got swept along with Saki's energy.
From outside the awareness of the two gigglin' girls, a casual voice greeted them, "Hey there."
"You girls look extra stylish today. It really suits you. A little more mature than usual, maybe?"
Himeko turned around with a blank look on her face.
Saki froze in shock, her eyes blinkin' repeatedly.
Standin' right before their eyes was Kazuki, radiatin' an even sparklier vibe than usual. Flashin' a charmin', friendly smile, he gave a light wave of his hand.
They stared at each other for a moment.
Eventually processin' the situation, Himeko let out an "Oh!"
"Kazuki-san! Did you happen to get a haircut?"
"Good eye! So, uh, what do you think?"
"It really suits you~ Feels like your handsome level shot up from before! For a second I didn't even recognize you, I literally thought, 'Wait, is someone hittin' on me!?'"
"Ahaha, hittin' on you? Someone as cute as you, Himeko-chan, probably gets hit on all the time, right?"
"Nah, no way, not at all! Anyway, did you go to a hair salon for that?"
"Yeah, Big Sis recommended her favorite place to me."
"Whoa! You have a Big Sis!? What's she like!? Do you have a picture of her or somethin'!? Man, I'd love to meet her!"
"U-Um, well, maybe if the chance comes up."
When Kazuki let slip that he had a big sis, Himeko's eyes sparkled.
Kazuki was completely flustered.
Tryin' somehow to brush it off, Kazuki darted his eyes around and noticed Saki standin' next to Himeko.
"Btw, who's the girl next to you...?"
"Oh, this is Saki-chan! My childhood bestie. And Saki-chan, this is Kazuki-san. Big Bro's buddy!"
"Huh!? M-Murao Saki... ...um, nice to meet you..."
Suddenly havin' the convo turned to her, Saki bowed politely despite her surprise.
"Nice to meet you properly, I'm Kaidō Kazuki. Come to think of it, you were at Okashitsukasa Shiro the other day too, right?"
"Huh? U-Um..."
Saki made a troubled face, as if tryin' to remember if that was true.
At the mention of "Okashitsukasa Shiro," Himeko reacted instantly and took a step forward as if grillin' Kazuki.
"Oh right, did you start workin' part-time there too, Kazuki-san? I was so surprised back then, geez!"
"I just pop in to help out occasionally. That day, I happened to hear they were short-staffed."
"Huh, but you looked totally natural doin' it! If you served customers with that host-like vibe like you did then, I bet you'd be super popular!"
"Ahaha, that was only because it was you girls, Himeko-chan and co. If I did that to other customers, I'd get chewed out."
"Oh, I get it, like a special service for your co-worker's (Big Bro's) little sis, right?"
"Personally, I'd rather you think of it not because you're Hayato-kun's little sis, but precisely because you're a buddy."
"Huh?"
Kazuki said that with a wink.
Himeko was caught off guard for a second, but then suddenly seemed to catch onto somethin' and clapped her hands.
"Aha, so this is a continuation of that hittin'-on-me bit from earlier? Kazuki-san, you're hilarious~!"
"...Glad it was to your likin'."
Himeko let out a merry laugh.
The corners of Kazuki's mouth twitched slightly, but he quickly slapped his smilin' mask back on.
"Btw, both Ema-san and her boy are comin' today too, right?"
"Oh, both Iori-kun and Isami-san are already over there."
As Kazuki turned his head, Iori and Isami Ema came into view.
The two of them were stiff with nervous tension, lookin' down with bright red faces and avoidin' each other's eyes.
However, they were holdin' hands tightly.
Catchin' sight of that, Himeko's eyes sparkled in an instant, and she charged right over, draggin' Saki along with her.
"Kya~! Ema-san, Ema-san, did you and your boy get closer!? How far have you guys gone!? Like, at least a kiss—"
"H-Hime-chan, wait up~! Are these two the couple you were talkin' about!?"
"A-Ahaha..."
Noticin' Himeko, Isami Ema welcomed her with a light wave and an awkward smile. Joinin' in with Saki, the convo quickly hyped up.
It all happened in a flash.
As Kazuki gave a dry chuckle while watchin' them, Haruki tossed out a teasin' voice from behind him.
"Man, Kaidō, you got totally dumped."
"...Yeah, looks like even becomin' buddies is gonna be tough."
"Wait, Kaidō, are you actually targetin' Hime-chan?"
"No way! It's nothin' like that. Himeko-chan's a fun girl, so I just thought I'd like to get closer to her, that's all."
"Hmm? Well, Hime-chan is super cute after all... ...right, Hayato?"
"...Don't throw this at me."
Havin' the topic turned to his little sis made Hayato's expression unreadable.
Haruki's teasin' gaze was turned toward Hayato as well.
Scratchin' his head to brush it off, Hayato cleared his throat with a soft cough to reset the room's mood.
Then, Hayato took a good, long look at Kazuki.
At first glance, Kazuki seemed the same as usual, but even though Hayato couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was, Kazuki gave off a fresher, crisper vibe than usual.
It was probably somethin' like the boost of effort Himeko put in when gettin' ready to head out.
'Oh, I get it,' Hayato thought to himself, completely convinced, before askin' Kazuki.
"Oh, that hair, you went to a hair salon, right? Um..."
"Hayato-kun goin' to a hair salon... ...oh, yeah, I'll let y'know next time."
"Sorry to bother, that helps a lot, thanks."
"Haha, somethin' like this is no big deal at all."
Kazuki showed a moment of surprise, but instead of teasin' Hayato like Haruki and the girls did, Kazuki glanced over at them for a second and replied in a tone of voice that sounded somewhat understandin'.
That made Hayato feel like his inner thoughts had been read like an open book, givin' him an itchy feelin' down his back, when Haruki beside him softly murmured.
"Is your sudden interest maybe triggered by Saki-chan?"
"Dunno, who knows... ...I might've gotten influenced by seein' Saki-san try so hard to change herself."
"...I see."
When Hayato said that sheepishly, Haruki gave a vague smile with a slightly troubled expression.
