[Warning 15+]
Part Five
―Even If, I Can't Treat You with That Same Energy Anymore
Chapter 186
I-I Don't Know! Geez~!
―Even If, I Can't Treat You with That Same Energy Anymore
Chapter 186
I-I Don't Know! Geez~!
There was no moon in the night sky, only faint stars blinkin' lazily above.
Unlike Tsukinose, the city's residential neighborhood at night was surprisin'ly bright underfoot, thanks to streetlights and glow spillin' from houses all around.
Hayato walked along the night path side by side with Saki.
"..."
"..."
Not a word passed between them.
Hayato wore an indescribable expression.
What kept runnin' through Hayato's head was naturally Saki, walkin' right beside him.
Murao Saki.
Gentle and easygoin', often seen runnin' errands around Tsukinose in her shrine maiden outfit, adored by the sheep, loved by everyone in the countryside, and Hayato's little sis' bestie.
A girl who radiated a dazzlin', almost blindin' brilliance durin' the Festival.
And right now, Hayato was headin' to a convenience store at night with Saki.
It felt surreal.
Especially since they barely had any real interactions before.
To be honest, Hayato was still a bit flustered by a situation he couldn't have even pictured before Summer Break.
As for Saki, with her damp hair tied into a flutterin' side ponytail, she was lookin' all around, takin' in the unfamiliar sights of the city at night.
Saki wasn't wearin' her yukata or cosplay anymore, but a stylish, slightly dressy one-piece.
(...Just like Himeko.)
Back in Tsukinose, Saki showed a big-sisterly side around Shinta and often backed Himeko up, givin' her a somewhat mature air. But seein' Saki show an age-appropriate reaction just like his little sis, an involuntary giggle slipped out of Hayato.
"Gh!"
Realizin' she was bein' laughed at by Hayato, Saki's cheeks flushed bright red as she looked down.
Hayato put on a slightly apologetic face and gave his head a rough scratch.
"Um, the first time I went to a convenience store at night, I was crazy restless too."
"...Huh, you were too, Big Bro?"
"Even though it was late, bein' able to shop at any hour just like daytime felt kinda unreal, so I was all hyped up like, 'I'm gonna go see if that's actually true.'"
"I-I totally get that! Honestly, I even wondered if the stuff they sell at night would be totally different!"
"Ahaha, I know the feelin'. Gotta check and see what's different from the daytime, right?"
"Yeah! ...Wait, come to think of it, Big Bro, what are we goin' to buy, though?"
"Dry batteries. The ones in my alarm clock died... ...and, we're here. There's the convenience store."
"Whoa...!"
After walkin' for a little over ten minutes.
Sittin' at the edge of the residential area facin' the main street, the convenience store lit up the night town brilliantly, almost as if that spot alone had been carved right out of daytime.
It swallowed up and spat back out the local residents who drifted over, drawn in like moths to the light.
Saki was starin' intently at the whole scene, her eyes sparklin' with excitement.
Warmly watchin' Saki react the exact same way he and his little sis once did, Hayato gently patted her head to urge her along.
"Shall we?"
"Okay!"
◇◇◇
Steppin' into the convenience store, Hayato first made a beeline for the daily goods section to grab what he came for.
"Batteries, where are they...?"
In a section Hayato rarely ever glanced at, stationery like pens and notebooks, kitchen supplies like detergent and sponges, and everyday sundries like tissues and trash bags were crammed edge-to-edge, makin' it pretty tricky to hunt down what he was after.
After searchin' around for a bit.
Right around the time Hayato started wonderin' if they even sold batteries here, he finally spotted the prize.
"Found 'em, found 'em. Now, where's Saki-san...?"
Hayato might've kept Saki waitin' for a pretty long time.
Feeling a little guilty, Hayato scanned the store and spotted Saki right away.
With her light hair and fair skin, Saki stood out easily.
Even more so as Saki fidgeted restlessly while browsin' the sweets section.
Seein' Saki's back lookin' so cute and endearin' made Hayato hesitate to call out to her, so he let out a soft sigh and just watched over her warmly for a moment.
Then, after lettin' her eyes wander over various treats for a bit, Saki paused in front of a certain sweet and reached out her hand.
"You gonna buy that?"
"Eek!? B-Big Bro! Um, well, this is..."
"Is that the Double Chestnut Cream Puff that just came out recently? The crust on that one is super crispy and good, right?"
"Y-Yeah, exactly! Aside from the firm cookie crust, the rich, smooth chestnut cream paired with the fluffy whipped cream is just perfection!"
"Yeah, it's super good. Not just that one, but the pumpkin puddin' and mont blanc dorayaki over there are toss-ups too."
"Wh-Whoa, I was curious about those too... ...Oh, speakin' of curious, check out this sweet potato and black tea parfait! It's an unexpected combo, but it looks so delicious!"
Saki's eyes sparkled as she talked about the sweets.
Looks like Saki was just as obsessed as Himeko with all these different kinds of desserts that didn't exist back in the countryside.
As a soft smile formed on Hayato's face, Saki held out another dessert she'd picked up, askin', "How about this one?".
"Hmm, let me see... ...305 kcal, huh?"
"Yeah, this has a whole 305 kcal... ...Wait, what!?"
"Mhm, the Double Chestnut Cream Puff is 280 kcal... ...Both of these have about as many calories as a whole bowl of rice."
"...Huh, oh... ...B-Big Bro, you're so mean!"
Saki puffed out her cheeks.
Then Saki looked at the treat in her hands and let out a sigh. Reluctantly, she put it back on the shelf.
However, Hayato immediately snatched up the treat Saki'd just put back, flashin' a mischievous grin.
"Big Bro...?"
"On a night like this, it wouldn't hurt to just enjoy what you like without overthinkin' things, right?"
"Oh! Y-Yeah...!"
Blinkin' in surprise, Saki gasped as her face melted into a bright, joyful smile.
Hayato let out a chuckle too, before suddenly catchin' himself and stoppin' mid-motion.
"Oh, if I don't buy some for both Himeko and Haruki too, they're gonna sulk. What do you think would be good?"
"...Oh. Come to think of it, you're right."
When Hayato muttered to himself like that, Saki made an awkward face, as if she had just realized it now.
Cue a sudden surge of mischief bubblin' up inside Hayato's chest, promptin' him to tease Saki with the exact same tone he used when messin' with Haruki or Himeko.
"Did you seriously forget?"
"N-No way..."
"Haha, guess you were just that excited about the late-night convenience store."
"I-I don't know! Geez~!"
Saki puckered her lips and turned her head away in a huff, while Hayato called out a "My bad, my bad" to her retreatin' back.
