[Warning 15+]
Part Five
―Even If, I Can't Treat You with That Same Energy Anymore
Chapter 178
Wait, I Wasn't Invited?
―Even If, I Can't Treat You with That Same Energy Anymore
Chapter 178
Wait, I Wasn't Invited?
In front of a station in a certain town, with long lines formin' at a traditional Japanese storefront featurin' staff uniforms with yabane pleated skirts, was Okashizukasa Shiro, a confectionery shop founded in the Tenpō Era.
However, just for today, male staff members wearin' jinbei and aprons were bustlin' around frantically.
"Table 5, 3 matcha kuzukiri parfaits!"
"Got it, the matcha kuzukiri parfait for the counter section is ready, so take it over!"
"Table 1, we've got 2 matcha kuzukiri parfaits here too, and unusually, 1 cream anmitsu. ...Kazuki, could you take that to Table 1 if you don't mind? I'll handle Table 5."
"You heard 'em, Kazuki."
"Haha, got it."
As Hayato turned his face toward the inside of the shop lookin' slightly disgruntled, female customers in school uniforms shot passionate gazes toward Kazuki.
When Kazuki flashed them a charmin', lovable smile, high-pitched squeals of "Kya!" echoed through the air.
Faced with that scene, both Hayato and Iori exchanged glances and wry smiles.
"Still, I mean, our place is supposed to be a traditional sweet shop, y'know."
"It's got sweet red bean paste on it, though—the matcha kuzukiri parfait."
"But it's a parfait!"
"Ahaha, but honestly, because the orders are so lopsided, it's actually easy to manage. Kazuki's a total lifesaver."
"Ain't that the truth."
Hayato shiftin' his gaze to Kazuki, who was dartin' around the shop.
Needless to say, Kazuki was a drop-dead handsome boy who caused quite a stir of rumors even at school.
With sharp, handsome features featurin' a straight bridge of the nose and a supple physique toned by club activities.
Flirtin' with a universally likable smile, casually whisperin', "I totally recommend the matcha kuzukiri parfait," which always led female customers to order the exact same thing.
Thanks to the narrowed-down orders, they were able to handle everythin' with breathin' room. Enough room to stand around shootin' the breeze like this.
Kazuki seemed thoroughly used to bein' the center of attention like this. He was probably well aware of it himself. That appearance of his shone brightly, as if he were carryin' out his absolute dream job.
An indescribable sigh slipped out.
Suddenly, Hayato found himself thinkin' back to how Haruki had been.
Only memories of them talkin' with mischievous grins kept flashing through Hayato's mind—convos about who could take more orders, what the trick was to carrying empty dishes all at once, or which route was the most efficient when bouncin' between multiple tables.
Without a single thought given to how they looked to the customers, they just enjoyed tacklin' the work together like it was a game.
Compared to Kazuki, that thought felt kind of funny, and Hayato couldn't help lettin' out a small snort of laughter.
"Hayato?"
"Gh! Oh, it's nothin'... ...just thinkin' about how amazin' Kazuki is."
"Ain't that the truth. I'm almost tempted to hire Kazuki to work for our place in the future."
"For your place... ...wait, Iori, are you actually gonna take over this shop in the future?"
"Hmm, nah, who knows? Beats me."
"...Eh?"
To a topic thrown out so casually, an unexpected answer came back.
Okashizukasa Shiro, which was also Iori's family home, was a long-standin' traditional shop spannin' six generations since the Tenpō Era.
Naturally, Hayato had assumed Iori would be the one to take over the family business.
As Hayato blinked in surprise, Iori looked away with a touch of sheepishness and muttered softly.
"Oh well, you see, I've got a Big Sis."
"Eh... ...oh, you got a Big Sis?"
"Yeah, exactly. And Big Sis is totally dead-set on takin' over the shop—right now, she's even gone off to Italy to study confectionery work using her Summer Break from college. So it doesn't really have to be me, y'know."
"Huh, is that so?"
"Well, the family home is just one strong candidate option for now. Besides, thinkin' about the future is way too far off to even picture."
"...Fair enough, I suppose."
And as they exchanged exasperated little smiles, Kazuki came back wipin' sweat from his forehead with a huff.
Seein' Hayato and Iori chattin' away so happily, Kazuki put on a slightly pouty expression.
It seemed things had finally calmed down inside the shop.
"You guys looked like you were havin' way too much fun laughin' over there, what were you talkin' about?"
"Oh, we were just talkin' about how Iori has a Big Sis."
"Eh, first time hearin' that. I've come over for part-time work a bunch of times, but I never saw anyone like that."
"Big Sis' doin' a short-term trainin' stint in Italy usin' her Summer Break, though I think she'll be comin' back soon."
"I see, I heard College Summer Breaks are super long, after all. Still, why Italy?"
"Beats me? Right before Big Sis left, she just yelled, 'Gelato and red bean paste are best buds! Tiramisu and monaka are infinite!'"
"Ahaha, what an aggressive Big Sis."
"Back when I was a kid, all that stuff from Big Sis was directed right at me, so I got dragged around a ton."
When Iori let out a groaned "Ugh" with a gloomy face, both Hayato and Kazuki, imaginin' what he must have looked like back then, burst out laughin'.
Then Iori, who had been shruggin' his shoulders, shifted the convo toward Kazuki as if he'd just realized somethin'.
"What about you, Kazuki? Got any siblings?"
"I've got a Big Sis, too. One year older."
"Total opposite of Himeko at my place, huh? What kind of person is your Big Sis?"
In response to Hayato's question, Kazuki momentarily glanced back toward the inside of the shop, then with an "Hmm," Kazuki brought a hand to his chin and furrowed his brows.
"...A pretty go-with-the-flow kind of person, I guess?"
"Oh, I see. Someone like Kazuki, huh."
"Huh? Do I really give off that vibe?"
"Totally. Man, how many times has my pace gotten wrecked because of you?"
"No way, forget that, Hayato, it's Kazuki's Big Sis we're talkin' about here!? She's totally gotta be gorgeous! Aren't you way more curious about that—wait, you don't happen to have a pic or anythin', do you?"
"Gh!? Oh—yeah, well, um, more importantly, about the Fall Festival! I wasn't even invited!"
"''Oh!''"
Maybe feelin' too awkward talkin' about his Big Sis any further, Kazuki forcefully changed the subject.
Now that Kazuki mentioned it, Iori thought back on it.
Iori had already brought up goin' together, but he hadn't told Kazuki a single thing about it.
Scratchin' his head frantically in front of Kazuki, who was pouting his lips, Iori cobbled together words with a somewhat sheepish look.
"My bad, my bad, I thought I'd already invited you. You were definitely counted in, though..."
"My bad, I just totally assumed Kazuki was gonna be there too... ...wait, do you happen to have plans or somethin'?"
"Nah, no special plans... ...well, if that's how it is, I guess it's fine."
When the two of them explained apologetically, Kazuki's face lit up and broke into a grin in no time.
Inwardly, Hayato cracked a wry smile, thinkin' what a simpleton Kazuki was.
"Well, anyway, about the Fall Festival. Goin' is fine and all, but I don't own a yukata."
"I don't have one either. Ema's been insistin' we gotta go together wearing yukatas."
"Oh, Isami-san might be sayin' that because she believes in that Fall Festival jinx and wants you to wear them."
"''A jinx?''"
Both Hayato and Iori's voices overlapped as they exchanged confused glances, wonderin' what on Earth Kazuki meant.
Facing the two of them, Kazuki shrugged and let out a sigh tinged with mild exasperation.
Author's Notes:
Meow! (Smash that like button!)
