[Warning 15+]
Author's Notes:
Startin' from here, it is Part 5 Sub-Part 2.
Startin' from here, it is Part 5 Sub-Part 2.
Part Five
―Even If, I Can't Treat You with That Same Energy Anymore
Chapter 174
Just Watch Me!
―Even If, I Can't Treat You with That Same Energy Anymore
Chapter 174
Just Watch Me!
![]() |
The old school buildin' that now served as a storage area, in one of the empty classrooms there.
A refuge to escape the bustle of the lunch break, Haruki and Hayato's Secret Base.
From the window of the room, which was faintly beginnin' to color with the shades of fall, cirrus clouds flowed smoothly like sand across the high sky.
"...Bacon egg."
"Even though it's an onigiri?"
"Even though it's an onigiri. The egg is creamy and fluffy, and the savory scent of the bacon follows—it actually goes well with rice. Yeah, this one's a win."
Haruki let out a voice that was hard to describe, a mix of surprise and amazement.
"Haruki, whenever a new product comes out, you always charge in, even when you know it's obviously a disaster."
"The chewy mochi power onigiri and the condensed strawberry milk from the other day were pretty bad..."
"I told you not to."
"But if I didn't eat it right then, it was obvious it would be discontinued in no time!"
"You're an idiot."
Hayato let out an exasperated sigh, lookin' at Haruki with eyes reserved for a pathetic creature.
Aware that she was sayin' somethin' stupid, Haruki stuck out the tip of her pink tongue with a shy, playful expression.
After they shared a wry smile, they resumed their lunch.
Perhaps because they had PE right before this, they were eatin' fast.
Haruki polished off the bacon egg and the classic salmon onigiri in the blink of an eye, yet she was still a little hungry.
Naturally, Haruki's gaze drifted toward Hayato's lunchbox.
There were rice balls slightly larger than usual, along with boiled broccoli and sliced tomatoes.
Since Hayato had just finished PE as well, he was steadily workin' his way through his meal.
"—Oh."
"Hm?"
Haruki reflexively let out a sound as if to stop Hayato.
Realizin' that her tone betrayed how much she wanted it, Haruki scrambled to make up an excuse.
"Oh, no, it's just that... ...I was thinkin' I've never seen that at dinner."
"Hmm, I guess I have this image of it bein' a lunch thing. Like fried rice or soba. Plus, this is a way to use up leftover rice."
"Come to think of it, we had beef stew last night. Everyone didn't eat much rice, huh."
"By the way, this has some leftover stew mixed in too."
"Wait, no way!"
Hayato said that and split it in half with his chopsticks.
From the middle of the stew-colored rice, a baby cheese oozed out. It looked like it went well with the rich rice.
Since they had just broken a sweat, it looked even tastier. Haruki swallowed hard without thinkin'.
"Haruki, you're droolin'."
"Huh!?"
Haruki instantly wiped her mouth. But there was nothin' there.
Haruki glared at her childhood buddy, who was tryin' to stifle a laugh beside her.
Hayato then gave a wry smile as if to say "My bad," placed one of the rice balls on the lid of his lunchbox, and offered it to Haruki.
"Just kiddin', here."
"Hayato! Honestly, don't mess with me... ...gulp, it's delicious, so that's annoyin'."
"Haha, glad to hear it."
Haruki grumbled while stuffin' her cheeks with the rice ball.
Hayato squinted at Haruki as he watched her.
Feelin' a bit like she was being treated like a child, Haruki looked away in a huff.
The early fall sunlight streamin' in from the window cast slightly longer shadows.
A gentle breeze carried the voices of the students playin' on the ground.
Before they knew it, they had finished lunch and were leanin' their backs against the wall.
The cushions they were sittin' on were a solid navy blue and a white one with a cat print on it.
They were alone.
There wasn't any convo, either.
The air flowin' between them was the same calm atmosphere as when they were little.
For some reason, it felt like it had been a while.
Now that Haruki thought about it, lately, there was almost always someone else around durin' lunch.
Minamo, Kazuki, Iori, Isami Ema. The new buddies they'd made.
It wasn't just them; The number of classmates to talk to had increased too.
Changes at high school since Hayato transferred here—somethin' Haruki never even imagined before.
And at Hayato's place—when Haruki's thoughts wandered that far, suddenly her mind was flooded with images of one girl.
"—Saki-chan."
"Hm?"
The name had slipped out before Haruki could stop it.
Haruki blinked. She hadn't meant to say it.
Hayato turned to Haruki, wonderin' what was wrong.
Haruki's head was spinnin'. Her chest felt muddled.
So, to hide it, Haruki shook her head and forced herself to speak.
"Saki-chan seems to have figured out what she's doin' for the yukata. I, on the other hand, have no clue. I've never worn one before, so I'm lost on what kind I should pick."
"Oh, me too. Honestly, I don't even know what's out there."
"Hey, what kind do you think would look good on me?"
Suddenly, Haruki asked that.
Hayato blinked a few times, then stared at Haruki intently, as if checkin' somethin'. It felt a little... ...ticklish for her.
"No clue. Why don't you just pick somethin' you like? That's what I'm plannin' on doin'."
"I see."
The answer was exactly what Haruki expected.
It's just so Hayato.
A wry smile, one Haruki couldn't quite describe, escaped her.
Just then, the bell rang—ding-dong.
With a slightly disappointed tone, Hayato let out a "Yo" and stood up.
And all of a sudden, Hayato, who was about to open the door, stopped.
"Haruki, honestly, I think you'd look good in anythin'."
"...Huh?"
Haruki let out a goofy sound without thinkin'.
Staring at Hayato's back, Haruki's mind went completely blank.
"I'm lookin' forward to it."
A beat later, after Hayato tossed those words over his shoulder with a tone that was half-mischievous, half-provocative, Haruki's cheeks flushed with heat in an instant.
Haruki couldn't see Hayato's expression from here. He was headin' toward the classroom like he was makin' a run for it.
Haruki's heart hammered in her chest.
"Ugh! Just you wait!"
Haruki shouted at the top of her lungs like a child.
Author's Notes:
I'm very sorry, especially since Part 5 Sub-Part 2 has just started, but because I have to do Author proofreadin' and work on the bonus SS, the update schedule will be a bit irregular.
I am really sorry.
But please, hit that like button!
Meow~
